Advertisement

Eclipses can be approximated the same way as π. [ONE TAKE!]

Eclipses can be approximated the same way as π. [ONE TAKE!] Huge thanks to Destin for the chat and footage. Check out their video!


I was at the 2 July 2019 total solar eclipse in Argentina: 30°41'07.6"S 68°28'50.2"W

My old video "Solar Eclipse Maths and the Cosmic Coincidence of the Saros Cycle"


We've made some Think Maths teaching resources on approximating pi with a continued fraction.


The wikipedia page on solar eclipse cycles is actually pretty good.


Wolfram Alpha can sort you out for all your continued fraction needs.


And this is the page with more about continued fractions than you'll ever want to know.



CORRECTIONS
- I misspoke a couple of times (303 instead of 333, 2023 instead of 2022) but the correct number was always onscreen. That's what I get for doing it all in one take!
- Yes, I mooned the camera. I'm just that on theme.
- Let me know if you spot anything else!

Thanks as always for Jane Street being my principal sponsor.


Thanks to my Patreon supporters who help make these videos possible. Here is a random subset:

Mauro Cioni
Emily Dingwell
Terence Crisp
Alan McNea
Colin Williams

Support my channel and I can make more maths videos:


Filming and editing by Matt Parker
Music by Howard Carter
Design by Simon Wright

MATT PARKER: Stand-up Mathematician
Website:
Maths book:
Nerdy maths toys:

maths,math,mathematics,comedy,stand-up,matt parker,solar,eclipse,approximate,sun,moon,physics,orbits,month,synodic,nodical,lunar,phase,destin,smartereveryday,argentina,lucie green,mountains,one take,pi,π,continued fraction,ratio,rational,irrational,number,2019,

Post a Comment

0 Comments